Monday, August 30, 2010

Upcoming Concoction

I know it's early on in this little experiment, but I want to try something on my own.  I'm taking a few things I've learned so far along with some of my own ideas.  I want to do another version of the barbeque chicken I did on the first entry. 

Tonight I made a rub out of all the sweet spices I have.  I did one tablespoon of all of the following:

  • Sugar (1/2 tbs to keep it from getting too sweet)
  • Paprika
  • Spanish paprika
  • Savory
  • Cinnamon
  • Majoram
  • Nutmeg
  • Apple Pie Spice














The rub smells great - sweet but not too sweet.  I'm using the maple sauce from before but instead of ranch dressing I'm going to add honey.  I also plan on grilling the apple slices and pairing everything with the Riesling from the other night. 

The spice jar is something Kristen picked up at Sur La Table.  As neat-looking as it is I have to be careful with the cork top.  It tends to flake when taking it on or off the jar so I have to put a piece of Saran Wrap inbetween to keep cork flakes from getting in it.

I'm not grilling the chicken tonight.  Tonight is microwaved hotdogs.  I'll probably do it tomorrow. 

Earlier this year, Kristen and our two closest friends went on a cruise.  I attended a food/wine pairing seminar and discovered one of my favorite pairings is Riesling with apples or pears.  I'm hoping that grilling them will add a different twist to it.  =o9




No comments:

Post a Comment